The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ted's bike journey through London


I think Aimee and I were meant to meet to introduce Ted and Dagg. They'd be such great mates with their war wounded faces and stories of old. Mum and dad bought Ted from a chemist for me when we first moved to Albury. Back then he was a fluffy brown bear with beg brown eyes and a bright red bow. More than three decades later and a few outfit changes along the way he's still with me. Complete with his burnt little nose (too close to the open fire) and his stitched up arms (care-of Grandma) Ted has travelled the world with me - literally that bear has been every where with me- from backpacking through Asia and Europe to university, a variety of Australian cities and now all the way to London where he sits on my bedside table. That beautiful bear is part of me and despite Tim's best efforts he won't be leaving anytime soon.

My second favourite thing is my silver and garnet necklace which was given to me by dad when I turned 18. I was living in London at the time, feeling like I was a very long way from home - homesickness had set in. My dad and I are very close but back then we'd endured a year long rocky relationship which at times broke my heart. Receiving the necklace and the long blue handwritten airmail letter in the post that day lifted my head into the clouds. My first grown up piece of jewelry and a beautiful gift from my dad. I still wear it when I feel homesick or just need an extra bit of luck on a particular day- I love to it and all of its sentimental value to pieces.

I could list endless items of sentimental value on my 'favourite things' list but for my third today I choose my bike. In keeping with numbers it is actually my third bike in this city, (the first two were snatched by thieves) so deserves a spot on the list just for perseverance alone. A bike in London is freedom. Freedom from the grimy, hot, crowded tube and freedom from traffic jams and long queues. A bike will get you across the city in half the time and usually on a far more scenic route. I've cycled through snow (only 2 stacks), hail, pelting rain and when really lucky, through sunshine that makes all the hard slogs worthwhile. Riding a bike in London is like being part of a well respected cult. Granted I don't own the matching lycra but I have dodged the double decker buses, I own a pair of matching saddle bags and I know the best canal/tow path rides to shortcut the journey home. I am one of them. The more I write the more I realise how obsessed I am about my bike and that I should probably stop writing now :)

No comments: