The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Why you are Australian by Nikki Gemmell

Like I need reminding what I love about Australia but what a trip down memory lane this book was. Nikki Gemmell's easy, relatively large print new book 'Why you are Australian' was left on my desk at work by a colleague with a warning scribbled on a bright yellow post-it-note; 'this will make you homesick'. And it did but only a little - the larger emotion was one of joy. Joy that I had been fortunate to grow up in this open sunshine filled land. The story begins with Gemmell opting to take a break from her many years of life as a London expat to return home with her children. A journey prompted by her little boy's matter of fact explanation that the night stars were only seen in movies.

′Achingly I want you to know what it is to be Aussie kids. Where playing barefoot is a signifier of freedom not impoverishment. Where a backyard′s a given not a luxury. Where sunshine and fresh food grow children tall. Where you know what a rash shirt is and a nipper, a Paddle Pop and a Boogie Board.′

This book managed to draw out so many of my childhood experiences and in contrast also reflected on my new experiences as an expat. I had many 'ah ha' and 'oh my gosh you've experienced that too' moments. In the end the book probably had the opposite effect of what was intended. It made me actually want to read more stories about London written by foreigners. I'd like to know more about how others interpret this chameleon of a city, how is it seen through their eyes? The reading list grows again!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

try the book Almost French by the Australian Journalist who married a French Man who lived in Paris, interesting perspective. How good was Nikki G description of growing up in Oz. All true. A xx