The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The 'me' entry


I’m the one who has stayed behind to keep the home fires burning. A few months ago I was a busy working mother with an expanding waistline. Now I’m a stay-at-homer with a toddler and two-week-old twins. It’s all milk and baby vomit and endless nappies at the moment. The challenge, or the adventure, is keeping some of myself as I care for all these little people. A few months ago, pregnant and exhausted, the washing and cleaning and finger-painting was a drudge. But these new babies have fired up the homemaker in me again, drawing me back to my knitting needles and cake tins and the pleasures of folding washing fresh from the line. And, oh, there is so much washing to fold.

So now I’m the native Sydneysider, my friends flung far and wide across the globe. In fact, I’m not a city kid at all. I’m from the country, central western New South Wales, and I want to return to the rolling green, to take my little brood out of this fast-paced place so a beautiful bakery around the corner can’t be the excuse to not make my own bread. I love Sydney, but 10 years on and I’m only really here because of work and the in-laws. I no longer do any of the things people come to Sydney for – the beaches, the galleries, the shopping, the nightlife. I’m a fair-skinned homebody who yearns for less traffic and more sunsets. But it’s Sydney for a year or two yet, so while I wait to escape, I have to make sure I don’t waste this time. And this blog is a part of that. That and the two newborns and the toddler and the washing…

No comments: