The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Thursday, March 11, 2010

oh and who am I again


It feels like a crazy time in my life to write an introduction when my world flew to the east 3 weeks ago. Scott (husband), Hugo (son) and I left cushy, sunny, comfortable Sydney for the world’s highest density city - Hong Kong. So the details I would have imagined weaving through my introduction are moments from the past. But if we are, as they say, the sum of our experiences, here are a few previous details.

I was a country chic, eldest of three and the daughter of two teachers. I fell in love with the theatre long, long ago. I graduated with a Bachelor of Creative Arts-Theatre straight from School. That is where I met Greer and Amanda, two hugely talented, openhearted country girls that loved a yarn over a beer as much as I did. And both of them, fired up over the craft of storytelling in its many forms.

I spent my 20's as an actor: theatre mainly, some TV and film. I traveled to New York and LA in search of great work and launching into my dreams. A dream that is always with me, my invisible friend, my imaginations feast.

And amidst every thing else, my most challenging and enjoyable projects were the works produced with Amanda and Greer. Working with good friends and truly talented artists, we were able to make people laugh and cry, and leave them with something. It made me realise what an honour it is to have an audiences eyes and ears for that hour or so.

I have been a script reader and developer, a voice over artist and a hundred other things. But my proudest achievements are as a wife and a mother. And at this moment my true north is how I can reveal the world to Hugo. And funnily enough in this latest job the same truth knocks at my door again…..

Stories are great; they are critical, they connect us to people and places around us. They make us human.

So if that is my story to date, may this 'The Tale of Three', unfold!

No comments: