The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Monday, April 12, 2010

An ancient Egyptian afternoon

There are two galleries that I either walk or cycle past each day that I've always wanted to pop into. The first is a small sculpture gallery tucked away in the Limehouse Basin in East London and the second is the London Fashion and Textile Museum on Bermondsey Street near London Bridge. Both were closed today. Not a great start to a blog entry that is already late however thankfully I live in a city that is overflowing with culture and so didn't have to look far to find an alternative. In fact I decided that if I had to find an alternative I may as well tackle the big one, the one that I've been putting off for 2 years, the one that everyone who lives in or visits London says you have to go to, the one that the Lonely Planet lists as number 2 in its highlights - the British Museum.

Firstly let me say that you could spend a good 5 days in this museum and still need more time. Set in one of the most beautiful buildings in London the British Museum is filled with so much 'stuff' to look at, to read, to touch, to experience and to learn about. Its a sensory overload that is worth every minute you can spare.
My favourite exhibit was on the Egyptian mummies. The ancient Egyptians believed that death was not the end of human existence but a necessary transition to a new state of being. All the egyptian funerary preparations including mummification, construction of tombs and provision of offerings were directed to enable the dead person an ideal state of immortality dwelling in the realm of the gods. (text care of British Museum). The appeal for me is in the ancient Egyptians recognition of both a physical and spiritual body and the emphasis they placed on the power and magic found in the natural world. The tombs themselves are beautiful and compelling works of art that offer a celebration of the life had and the life ahead.

All in all a very, very good London day. I'll leave you with my new favourite quote which I found in the last ancient Egyptian exhibition room;

Follow your heart while you're alive.
Put perfume on your head,
Clothe yourself with fine linen.....
Make holiday and don't tire of it!
(Harpists song c. 1400BC)








No comments: