The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Moisture Inversion


Ok the season is technically Spring! And I will be honest this task, has left me wrestling with some unfair comparisons on my new home.

I miss my air! My beautiful Australian air, my sky, my colour. If it is true that your native landscape is burned into your psyche, then the wide Australian sky is tattooed into me. I cant forget it, ever. So spring here is not filled with the same promise of a salty summer.

I know I am being unfair - Hong Kong is a city that opens its arms wide to the west, it's welcoming, friendly, its fun and I am content in calling it my new home. I feel happy here and I know I will be. But Spring is different and it will take me more than a few months to stop
converting everything around me.

Spring here seems to be a cloud...low, dense and mighty. The temperature ranges from chilly to steamy in an instant and things click for the sound of growing foliage (and don't get me started on the sandflies!). My Dad described this picture above, as a moisture inversion, and apparently much of China is like this.

But for the festivities we haven't let the cloud dampen our spirits. Scott, Hugo and I purchased some celebratory Spring bikes from the Mui Wo Friendly Bike Shop and for the last two weekends we have taken them on old steel diesel ferry's to explore neighboring islands. These little ferries have jumped straight out of the Thomas the Tank Engine series, only they feel far less sea worthy than anything from the Island of Sodor. And Hong Kong would struggle to find a Fat Controller, as dumplings don't have the same effect as donuts!

Although Scott assures me it is almost impossible to sink these steel ships, I think the jagged little rocks that poke out of the harbour, might give it a fair go though.

On our journey we dart alongside the dragon boats. They are all out practicing for the carnival in June. So far the islands towns we have explored are Peng Chau and Mui Wo. They are wonderful, rusty little towns full of spirit and life. They are full of locals - it feels like more of a home than Discovery Bay. There are broken chairs that line the beach. Nights here are warm, I can imagine the seaside parties.

So the locals tell me Spring is wonderful, its a time to get out and enjoy Hong Kong before the humidity sets in. It's like the cloud is the Grand Dame of this gateway to the Orient. There is much to this town, I see glimpses. I know it will take many Springs before I see the whole picture.


1 comment:

Greer said...

It doesn't look or sound like any spring I know. Relish in the difference, Aims. Love the pics! xx