The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Thursday, April 8, 2010

c o l o u r s






Technically my gallery should be in Oz, because I have snuck home for a few days over Easter to see the fam. Knowing it would be a busy few days, I completed this weeks task when we were jammed in the sardine tin serviced apartment in Soho (HK).

Hugo's day naps are slipping. He refuses to snooze in a quiet, dark, comfy, bedroom. We have negotiated with a pram cat nap. Anyone will tell you the first rule of parenting is never to negotiate with a toddler. My son is already a mogul at two. So, knowing I am breaking all the rules, we set out along the wild and decadent Hollywood Rd in Central Hong Kong. Not only is it the longest stretch without steps, it is a winding, chaotic, tiny street that is home to antique shops, bars and boutique galleries. The Maclaren stroller surges on bravely to claim its tiny patch of pavement. Hugo shuts his eyes, happily coaxed into sleep by the palette of city chaos being played out in front of him. I like to think that is the reason he falls asleep and not the possibility that it is the lack of oxygen at street level here.

My 39 minutes of gallery loitering begins. And how I LOVE what Hong Kong serves up. Bold, bright, fun works that blend culture and modernity concisely. But what grabbed me from the outset is the saturation of female portraits. Dynamic glimpses into the lives of mothers, wives, girls, baby girls, female soldiers and so much more. This is a street view pic of one of the PINK BABY series.
But this photo of a young indigenous girl with a tiny baby strapped to her back, managed to stop me in the street every time.
I know I was supposed to focus on one gallery but there seemed to be an undeniable theme among the galleries on this street. I had to mention it.

Hooray Hong Kong, may I salute your artistic celebration of sisterhood, provided for my task this week.

On that note I might add that in between the galleries on this street the antique shops and souvenir shops seem to balance the gender pendulum with two prominent historic male symbols - stately stone Buddha's and plastic Mao souvenir plates.

However, I did find one male portrait, but he seemed to be missing something.........

No comments: