The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bay of Fires

It will come as no surprise that, bless their untarnished little souls, my fantasy holiday does not involve my children. And some time in the near future I could probably swing a weekend away with the help of some doting aunties. But there’s a catch – I’m hopeless. I know I wouldn’t really enjoy even a short break away from them because I’d just worry. Even though they’d be fine, even though they’d be lovingly cared for, I wouldn’t be able to relax. And that’s no holiday.

So my fantasy holiday is going to need the addition of a bit of time travel, back to the time before my kids were born. Don’t judge me. I love those little creatures and have never really wished they weren’t around. But if we’re going to have a fantasy holiday, let’s go the whole hog and make sure my headspace can match my physical surrounds, and that means it has to take place pre-children.

The last real holiday I had was my honeymoon. By ‘real’, I mean an all-expenses-paid, someone else doing the cooking and cleaning type break. It was a resort holiday in an exotic locale, five-star accommodation, cocktails by the pool at 11am, three-hour spa treatments – that sort of thing. I could have that sort of holiday again any time, and hopefully will.

I could also happily enjoy a week’s driving/eating holiday, somewhere like the Hunter Valley, Margaret River or the Barossa. Just me and Ange in the Tucson with a bunch of road songs on the iPod, staying in well-appointed guesthouses, taking in the scenery, visiting wineries and great cafes by day, eating in beautiful regional restaurants every night.

But the trip I keep coming back to is one that’s been on my ‘list’ for years, an extravagance in terms of dollars so I’ve never really considered it too seriously when I occasionally see an ad or read an article about it. I just think, “One day.” It’s the Bay of Fires walk in Tasmania – four days of coastal trekking, staying in a beautiful lodge at night, a bit of luxury in the uninhabited wilderness. I can just imagine how fresh and crisp the air is, how beautiful the landscape. How good a glass of wine will taste at the end of a day’s walking. Falling into bed exhausted but satisfied. Sleeping like a baby.

My walking partner would be my husband – he needs a holiday as much as I do. And given how squishy and crowded our life and home has become in recent years, it’d be great to spend some time together with all that space around us.


What say you, garbageman? Fancy some time travel?

No comments: