The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Hand Thong



Patience is one virtue I don't have. Even as an ambitious 8 year old I knew macrame was beyond me. I gave the old Knitting Nancy a fairly pathetic whirl, and tossed it aside quickly for full two hour renditions of Joseph and his technicolour dreamcoat in front of the mirror with a hairbrush. Even so I was determined to give this one a bash. Several trips to baron craft shops left me floundering without tools - I had a good go at the basic knots on kids how-to websites. I think Hugo's understanding of macrame is that it is a matted knot to be launched across the room.

I descended into my 8 year old feelings of failure, only this time Joseph and mirror dancing would not save me. Just as it didn't when I failed my year 8 sloppy joe assignment.

Woe.

Then a moment of inspiration. I might not be a macrame master but I could manage a bit of finger knitting back in the day. Yahoo, hold on cowgirl. I finger knitted my way into the night, until I came up with this exclusive yet functional design, I have labeled it ....the hand thong. Feelings of year 8 sewing failure cast aside, I marched proudly onto Zara in the hope they will take it on as part of their winter collection.


1 comment:

Greer said...

Exquisite! But I need a close-up photo to see the detail!