The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Sunday, June 27, 2010

My first good chat with a local..

There is a little shop that opened in our street about 6 months ago that keeps catching me eye. I keep meaning to go in there but fail each time because I’m either embarrassed by the cumbersome and bright orange Sainsbury bags in hand or I’m meant to be somewhere else in a hurry. The shop has little hand strung Tibetan style flags out the front and its window is filled with quirky vintage style dresses, buttons and badges, even handmade cards. It’s a treat just to look at.

Finishing work early yesterday gave me a carefree hour to finally step beyond the pretty window into the shop and its vintage inspired clothes and accessories made by local designers. On this occasion, despite admiring everything, I left empty handed but opted to make up for this by grabbing some dinner treats from the cafĂ© a few doors down - and this is where my day became so much more interesting. I had my first good chat with a local in my new neighbourhood - the woman who runs the clothes shop I’d just been to! Turns out the shop used to be a chemist run by her father and then after that rented out to the local antiques buyer and seller before finally coming back to her to try her hand at. My new found local is also a yoga teacher – unfortunately not in London Bridge – however she did remind me that there is a new place that has opened up just down the road that I should try. As I was handed my fresh pastries and made my way back down the street towards home I was left with only one disappointment – not having the courage to ask her name and introduce myself. Next time, there’s always next time.

No comments: