The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

doodly do.....


I am a woman of little patience. I have never denied the fact. So my trip to the art supply store here in Discovery Bay resulted in the purchase of a new sketch pad (to add to a half used pile) and a fat, chunky, breakable twig of charcoal. Charcoal is the most forgiving of all art supplies. It can be so effortlessly smudged to look like a purposeful and artful piece of shading. It is the best art supply for a woman of my patience levels.

Sketching has always been a big challenge for me. I struggle with the idea of how something should look rather than replicating what I am seeing. I struggle with the time it takes to draw something, I struggle with my ideas of perfection rather than embracing the beauty of imperfection. And lets be honest there is SO much imperfection in my visual arts to embrace.

My other 'complimentary want', when I toy with the idea of sketching is that I fantasize about someplace dark and enigmatic to sketch in. Dark little dens were easy to find in New York (the only time I have ever really attempted a sketching style of life). But not so easy here in toy town where there are many many coffee loving neighbours and one coffee shop.

The book shop has a little corner though and it serves a moderately refreshing cup of teabag. So I attempted to sketch the teapot. From the following picture, you may observe two facts. One the forgiving effects of charcoal and two, the endless supply of imperfection in my art.

No comments: