The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Holy Cannoli!


Leichhardt is Sydney's Little Italy, and not just in a naff touristy kind of way (if you don't count the Italian Forum). Real live authentic Italians live here and it is the centre of all sorts of Italian language and education and foodie type things. The council even puts a big 'Si' next to the green tick on the sides of the recycling bins to tell you what goes in them. 

The local cafes I frequent in the direction of Annandale and Lilyfield are typical 'Sydney' places with fair-trade coffee and a choice of several sourdough breads to go with your all-day breakfast. But for a taste of a local delicacy, I had to try something very Italian, and I chose Locantro. It's a deli/grocer with a very tempting sweets counter and some quite nice coffee to match. Not everything is entirely Italian - apple strudel, ja? - but I placed my order with this blog task in mind and settled in to enjoy a very tasty vanilla cannoli. I'm not sure the soy latte I had with it was overly authentic, but that's a non-negotiable.


No comments: