The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Supplies!


Alright, I'm well aware that Officeworks is not an art supplies shop. It is indeed a wonderful and heavenly place in which I can waste hours staring at pens and post-its and coloured notepads. But it has a reasonable art supplies section for the novice (read: me). AND...I needed a new cartridge for the printer, so I had to go there anyway. Forgive me -  I have three children under three and I'm allowed to use that as my excuse at least once.

Anyway, back to the art supplies. All I really needed for my current 'project' was a decent sketch book, some lovely soft pencils and a black special rolly inky yummy pen. I grabbed them without any trouble. I also grabbed a new ringbinder and dividers to try and make some sense of the pile of paid and unpaid bills on the kitchen bench. And a sticky tape dispenser for Lola - one of the heavy ones that are easy to use so I won't have to keep cutting pieces of tape for her infinite collages and "sticking and gluing" projects.

So what do I want to get down on (lovely thick white slightly textured) paper with my (soft smooth sharp) pencils and (rolly inky yummy) pen? I'm thinking a few sketches of ideas for my knitting. Bloody knitting. I just can't stop obsessing. I've become the mum in the park staring at your kid and why? I'm trying to memorise the design of her cardigan and work out if it would be possible to replicate.

I'm slowly setting myself up a little work space - sewing machine, knitting supplies, books etc etc. And a space like that needs a good sketch pad/notebook and some not-for-the-three-year-old pencils and pens. So while I'd like to say I spent hours in the art shop being dazzled with inspiration for my latest life drawing exercise or large-scale painting project, it was still really all about the knitting. Let's hope the warmer weather of spring brings some sort of reprieve.

No comments: