The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Actinidia chinensis confiture




I've made jam before. Jam, chutney, sauce, curd. I've chopped and stirred and bottled into sterilised jars. I've Christmas gifted jam and I've sold it at markets (a long time ago, mind). And while a good bit of jam-making features strongly in my life-in-the-country fantasies, in reality I don't eat much of it. It's pretty much only good on a slice of hot buttered toast or a freshly baked scone with cream - the former reminds me of late-night binges as a student, and the latter of God knows what, but there isn't a lot of scone baking going on around here.

As for fruit in abundance here in Oz, I could have gone with blueberries or strawberries, or even mangoes, which are starting to make an appearance. I toyed with the idea of figs - they were on the shelves at the grocer yesterday. But in the end I went with kiwifruit, 'cause they're everywhere at the moment. I found a recipe online, adjusted it down in quantity and the result was a single jar of sticky, sweet, scrummy jam that tastes of...well, jam. I might just be having toast for dessert tonight.

10 kiwi fruit, about 1.5 cups, crushed
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 apples, halved
1.5 cups white sugar

Stir the kiwi, juice and apples until boiling. Add sugar and stir till dissolved. Simmer for about half an hour, or until a smudge of it on a plate sets in the fridge. Jar it. (I didn't sterilise anything because a) I didn't have time and couldn't be bothered and b) I only made enough for one jar so there won't be any sitting on the shelf till 2015.)

PS Spoutie, send a jar of that strawberry jam my way. You know the address! That should clear some space in the beer fridge.

No comments: