The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Big Banana


In my early 20's I travelled through India, and after about a month, I was desperate for an alternative to fish curry and perhaps a few flavours of home. I had heard about a French woman who ran a bakery called the Clafoutis Bakery on the cliffs of Kerala and everyday she made fresh bread and jam with whichever fruit she could get her hands on. This news was enough to sustain the day long train ride to the south (and the beautiful beaches).
And the punt paid off in jam, delicious jam - her recipe was to match the weight of the fruit with sugar and she told me you can make anything into jam (this was an amazing concept to a jam making virgin). Even though I remember her instructions really well, I am not game enough to do it without a recipe so this is one I dug up on the net.

Oh and here is the fruit that is
always in abundance here,
although I think they actually come from the Philippines. I am a true banana lover, especially having
grown up in Coffs Harbour!

I struggled getting a little bottle of rum here in DB so regrettably I omitted it. I have to say 3 3/4 cups of lush brown sugar makes for a rather impressive caramel mound. Even a bit overwhelming for a sweet tooth as developed as mine! It was a sticky, lovely, sweet, toffee smell that filled the house. Unfortunately my jam hasn't seemed to have set as it should have and therefore is a bit runny, and it seems darker than the picture. But it is DELICIOUS with a really tart unflavoured yoghurt or ice-cream. Apparently the french tradition is to have it with a fresh tangy cheese called Petites Suisse.















Banana Jam

2 lbs ripe bananas (1 Kg)
3 3/4 Cup brown sugar (750 g)
1 1/3 Cup water (3 dl)
juice of 3 limes (or lemons)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1 cc)
3 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract (or use real vanilla beans) (1 cs)
1 dash of ginger powder
1/4 Cup of rum (1/2 dl)

Peel and mash the bananas.
Mix water, lime juice, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger over moderate heat and stir until syrup thickens. Add the mashed bananas and let cook 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rum during the last few minutes of cooking to let alcohol burn off. Immediately place in jam jars and seal.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great job for a 'jam virgin', delicious. Thanks x