The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sweet lovely lovely

Greer - Tell us about your local coffee shop, the one you end up at if you have 15 mins to enjoy a cuppa. Be it glam or otherwise, who grinds your beans?


I love coffee. I LOVE IT. It is one of the pillars of my life, a cornerstone of my day, every day. While I may begin the morning with tea, things don't really get going till the first coffee. And that is usually mid-morning, it is usually a takeaway, and it is always, always, a soy latte. It occurred to me last weekend, returning from a dash up the road for a bottle of milk, a loaf of sourdough and a couple of large takeaways for the hub and I, that good coffee in a cardboard mug grabbed on the run could well be one of the hallmarks of a civilised society. For as long as that warm beverage lasts, things are rosier. Sitting in the cup holder in the car, or on the kitchen bench, or balanced in one hand while pushing a pram, that little disposable cup just makes everything better.

Nonetheless, there are still occasions when I can stop and sit to enjoy my coffee. And if the urge should take me, I have the choice of about half a dozen good cafes within easy walking distance of my front door. Lately, I've been choosing Esther's Table. This lovely corner cafe tucked away on a leafy Annandale street away from the hustle of the main drag has had a few incarnations over the years, but right now it's just right. There are striped awnings, crocheted cushions, metal chairs and a big bowl for dogs. Inside it's kid friendly, but I always sit outside. And the coffee is good, which is really all that matters.

Sorry, Aimee...

No comments: