The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Woodend





Tell us about your funniest memory in the theatre.



Aimee



The five of us; Greer, Amanda, Kate, Ruani and I embarked on a creative adventure all the way back in 2003 when we wrote and devised and performed an "All Singing, All Stretching" comedy about 3 women in a yoga class. I have such happy memories of this show, strongfriendships, fearsome challenges in a new fringe culture, facing BIG fears (singing) and for the first time really finding a story that seemed to resonate with people. It was a time when lots and lots of people were trying yoga for the first time. Anyway I can talk about Downward Dog for hours, because it was such a fun FUN time in my life. We performed it firstly at Melbourne Fringe and then at Adelaide Fringe Festival, but in between we went to Woodend with it!



A little yoga studio was opening in the tiny beautiful town of Woodend and they wanted to bring our show to town for a special celebration. And the whole town it felt like turned up at the community hall that Saturday afternoon to join us. Here are some pics of us setting up! Real country hall, no lighting or sound, I think we had an electric keyboard, and that classic box pros arch.




Anyway there was a scene in the show that was very funny, it was about that taboo topic.......fanny farts! yep we went there. In fact we sang a song about them. This scene (if I do say so myself) was as shocking as it was hilarious. Such brave crusaders of women's lib we were back in the day. It always managed to break the audience and us up in laughter. But this particular performance I remember the community hall filled with happy Woodenders, were beside themselves, they were laughing so hard, I was clenching my teeth to stop from loosing it. And I remember a man in the aisle, a young trendy melbournite took off his heavy set glasses and was weeping with laughter, he wiped his face as he shook. I felt so happy to have had some part in this collective laughter. That moment, watching that man, was my funniest moment in theatre.





PS Spoutie I tried to upload the dvd but no success - I will retain my technophobe status on this one. I should put the song up, if it I had it handy......anyone??

2 comments:

Kate said...

Don't we look young in those photos! I loved our show, some of my most satisfying theatre experiences ever. Remember the zen garden outside their gorgeous yoga studio, and the large volume of alcohol drunk at our caravan park after the show? Great memories!

Greer said...

Oh, dear, I was going to say I remember the alcohol almost more than the show! That was a hell of a weekend! I was terrified. Thanks for the reminder, Aims. (Lovely Wallsend...)