The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Thursday, July 15, 2010

the answer my friend is...

What are you missing right now? List two or three things that are hard to come by in your new location/lifestyle. How do you compensate?

Great cafes!

Hong Kong has plenty of lovely cafes but they seem to do bars and dining better. I can confidently say, Australia has the BEST cafes. Great food, fresh produce, innovative and competitive in style and flair but one thing reigns supreme - Coffee. I love Australian coffee. I cant lie, I have had great espresso in Europe, but I LOVE the humble flat white. Simple, strong and delicious. As I write this, I think I would pay a hundred bucks for a great cuppa at this moment. Smooth, silky, with a little swirly pattern with a the line through it.

All the good conversations with great friends shared over fabulous cafes in Sydney. Ah Victoria St, or Single Origin in Surry Hills, Bondi Organic, The Bourke St Bakery.......each one of my favourite coffee destinations is usually shared with a great mate. Perhaps my longing is a synonymous blend of laughter and caffeine.

I am not going to talk about coffee here.

The second this I long for is an ocean breeze - salty, gusty and clean. There is nothing like breathing in that air. If it could be bottled. Winter or summer an ocean breeze is the remedy for most ills in life (except if you are stranded on an island). If I close my eyes for a moment I can feel the crisp gusts blowing my hair into an afro and then I can taste the first sip of that flat white.

mmmmmm homesick now!



1 comment:

dear olive said...

Bondi Organics misses you too xx