The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Land of Plenty


The biggest cultural shift for me so far, has been the extensive use of helpers in families with children. It is very common practice in all Asian expat communities, and for the most part, the women employed in these roles are nearly always Filipino's.

When I moved to Hong Kong I was full of strong notions of independence and disdain for this practice, I might add this was somewhat self righteous of me and revealed a very naive understanding of life outside Australia. There were lifestyle changes I didn't really understand, like how it felt to be at home when the working parent is quite often away for all daylight hours and I also didn't know what life was like without the generous support of family close by.

And my views were very much formed by life in Australia, as a wealthy, sophisticated nation, with high levels of workplace regulation, the strictest of immigration policy and a land of plenty. I had no idea of the real level of poverty which exists within our closest neighbours.

Since living in HK I have met and chatted to many helpers, and my view of the situation is a little more rounded. These women are truly inspiring. They send all of their income home and quite often sustain 5 or 6 people in the Philippines with their wages. They are putting their kids through tertiary education and doing their best to lift their children's life from working to middle class. I have heard it said these women are the backbone of the Filipino economy. I don't know enough about economics to verify that as a truth, but watching these women work with the integrity and heart that they do, I would believe it.

I met Nicole this week, she wouldn't have a cuppa with me, but I am hoping she will soon. She has 3 children at home; 12years, 10 years and 7. They are cared for by her mother and husband. I spoke to her of how hard that must be to be away from them. Momentarily I saw the pain in her eyes, but she confirmed she must be here and work for them, everything she does is for them.

This kind of sacrifice is foreign to me. The ultimate sacrifice in my opinion, for a parent to leave their children in order to give them a better life. My admiration for this strength in parenting is complete. I wonder if I could do the same.

With Gillard's proposition to East Timor this week about them hosting a regional detention centre for Australia, Jose Ramos Horta's words have remained with me.
The people of East Timor are sympathetic to those fleeing political violence.

There is so much more to learn about Asia if we are to truly consider ourselves part of it. For the moment I remain inspired by what I have witnessed this week.

2 comments:

Wolly said...

Am truly speechless. That hits the heart.

Aimee said...

Thanks Wolly xx