The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Weekends on the Peninsula

I miss the ability to get into my car and drive, to be within 40 minutes of fresh ocean air and more importantly my family and a good home cooked meal. My sister and I would often descend on mum's place on a Friday night for champagne, shopping at the local markets and the antique centre followed by a massive cook-a-thon on Sunday. Mum would make us choose what we'd like for dinner - 3 course meal - and then the three of us would cook it together making an absolute mess of the kitchen in the process. I have noticed that I've been compensating lately in my own kitchen by getting Tim involved in cooking a new dish on Sunday nights in our tiny London apartment. He's on crutches at the moment so has no where to run too plus he's not quite aware of the gap he's filling my being my sous chef on the other side of the kitchen bench.

I also miss big sprawling houses with back yards for bbq's, having friends over and entertaining in general. Everyone lives in shoe boxes in inner city London but we've all managed to fill the void by doing as the locals do - taking over the local parks. This weekend we dragged the big weber across the road and commendeared a quarter of the park somewhere between the girls in their bikinis on a not quite hot enough day and the locals with their small pampered dog club.

Australians are used to being outdoors and enjoying large open spaces - it exists in London - you just need to know where to look and then make sure to invite the surrogate family of friends along as soon as the sun shows itself for an afternoon. Unfortunately though the car will still need to stay at home!



No comments: