The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Watch out Kylie!

This week’s task has brought home how different dreams can be in our 30s compared to our 20s. A few years earlier, ok maybe more than a few, my dream job would have been as artistic director of a theatre. Think Cate Blanchette for Sydney Theatre Company or Kevin Spacey for The Old Vic in London. I’d have the ability to choose scripts, shows and people that would turn an average theatre company into a great one. In my 20s my dream jobs were always about being in positions that were influential, filling roles that allowed me to travel, to work in the industry I loved and to be part of a success story. If I had to choose another two fantasy jobs to make up the trifecta during that time it would be as a travel presenter or a singer – in my mind I’d be Kylie Minogue- a performer and a business woman. You did say that talent, or lack of, was not an obstacle!

Oh how things change. In my 30s my fantasy jobs number 1 and 2 is to be a mum. I’d like to park ambition, the corporate wardrobe and the politics to one side replacing it with mothers group, reading bed-time stories and changing nappies. Given that this is a fantasy job however I would also like to add in that whilst I get my wish of starting a family I also get to go on one overseas trip a year, continue to eat at beautiful restaurants, run my own business and see as much theatre as possible. Something about either reaching for the stars of biting off more than I can chew. Fantasy job number 3 in my 30s stays the same as it was during my 20s- being able to command a stage like Kylie Minogue or Madonna will always stay with me no matter how old I get!

1 comment:

Greer said...

Spoutie, you're a champion!