The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Sunday, October 9, 2011

A day of indulgence at home

AMANDA - We talk about the places we live in currently, but if you could have one day anywhere in the world, where would you go and how would you spend your hours?


I just printed out 999 photos of our past three years of travel through Europe. If office works had let me print more I would have got up to 1057. Tim and I have traveled to so many amazing places in the time that we’ve known each other. We have beautiful memories of drinking Sicilian coffee in the sun, climbing the snow capped Mount Etna, spending Christmas in a bell tower in Belgium, walking till our feet hurt past so many of the London icons and Paris, beautiful magical Paris. There are so many places in the world I would still love to visit but not for a while to come. The place I would love to be for one day anywhere in the world is exactly where I am right now. Sitting at my mum’s kitchen bench in Mornington listening to a mix of chaos inside and the noisy Australian birds outside who are clearly enjoying the first signs of Spring.

Mornington is a special place. Something changes in me as soon as I pass the Frankston, Home of Sandcastles sign on the Nepean Highway. I let go.

My ideal day in Mornington would start with a walk along Mills beach past the coloured bathing boxes and back. Home for breakfast and spoilt with the fresh ciabatta that Basil buys from Frank’s bakery in Main Street. Smeared with full cream butter and some Red Hill jam its one of life’s greatest pleasures.

After breakfast it would be a drive to Tyabb Packing Shed with mum. You need to see this place to believe it. It’s an old apple packing shed filled to the rafters with anything and everything from antiques to junk to treasures. Clothes, crystal, books, posters, jewellery, furniture, linen – everything. I love it.

For lunch I’d head to the Montalto vineyard and indulge in their divine organic produce with friends and family. Post lunch wines on the lawn overlooking the vines followed by a stroll through the sculpture gardens.

It’s hard to add anything other an afternoon nap to make that day any more perfect.

After all the travels and flights my one day anywhere in the world is spent at home – there is simply no where better.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

oooooooooh you kill me - that sounds divine. It is truly a very special place. Could you squeeze a coffee in their with me somewhere!

Kate said...

This is fabulous Spout...you are so "in the moment" and exactly where you should be. I am so happy for you and all you are creating in your life. x