The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Stood Up

Greer - Go on an artist date


I remember well the rules of the artist date. A solo outing somewhere, anywhere, to seek inspiration, ideas, quiet reflection, energy, play.

Is it OK, then, that my artist date is this, here, now? Or, at least, it was meant to be. I'm meant to be in a bookshop (with a pot of herbal tea) rather than at my kitchen table (with a glass of red). I made the trip, I promise. Both local bookshops were open, but the cafe in one had finished serving for the night and the wine bar in the other was closed "due to unforseen circumstances." I could hardly loiter at the tables with the laptop, so home I came. 

Via the bottleshop.

I had a quick poke about, though. I like the craft shelves these days - so many more knitting books than there used to be. I'm a bit taken by the title 'Best in Show: Knit Your Own Cat'. I'll see how long I can resist before that one ends up in my shopping basket.

But if tonight's 'date' was a flop, I can happily report a solo trip to the cinema last week to see 'Eye of the Storm'. I've never read a Patrick White novel but this film was exactly how I imagine his novels to be. Stylised. Sparse. Quite beautiful. Funny-sad.

May there be more movie and bookshop/writing dates in my very near future.

No comments: