The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Monday, October 3, 2011

these boots are made for walking.....

How are you taking the change of season in your stride? Aimee


The same as last year the mid autumn festival (mid sept) brings with it a wind that blows off the relentless, sweltering sauna of Hong Kong's summer. Now I am a sun lover, but the humidity in Asia is ....urgh utterly exhausting. It can be summed up in two words really, ankle sweat, or if you don't know that feeling, then imagine every time you step out of the house you can feel a little river running your boobs. So summer is out of my good books during these years but one of the determining factors is that I am forced to wear SHORTS day in day out for about 5 months. Now in Sydney you can get away with a summer frock, mixed up with some denim and shorts perhaps on weekends, maybe you have one or two pairs. I have about 9 pairs on my rotation, and it kills me every time I succumb to the practicality and pull them on.

Firstly, shorts are designed to draw attention to your bum, so if you are past the cut off (ie 23 years old) and would prefer to steer the attention to other regions of yourself, wearing shorts will do you no favours.

Secondly, seeings I spend so much time pushing strollers up hills, or rescuing someone from ladders at playgrounds, or running after kids that are much faster than me, the casual summer dress is rarely an option. Not forgetting the Hong Kong sand fly sees no barriers with a dress and has often ventured higher than the cloth.

So sadly shorts it is, and I am growing to loath them, I never feel nice, I always feel.........practical.

So with this mid autumn wind, I am celebrating my jeans! Yes thank you, so much more mysterious, and flippant yet full of gusto and passion. I love a pair of jeans.

Ah to be honest, we haven't yet dropped below 28 degrees, but I put on this pair the day after the typhoon this week, and whilst I endured a mild degree of ankle sweat, I pumped out a couple of rounds of hopscotch to celebrate.

This is as close as I can get to getting a photo of the welcome mid-autumn wind...




1 comment:

Kate said...

Oh aims, a river of sweat.... I can only imagine! You can pull of shorts too! Your personal style has always been something I have admired. Wear shorts with pride, and class girl!!! Xx