The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Sunday, October 16, 2011

Formal season

Amanda - Try something new

It's formal season in Australia - year 10 and year 12 girls are replacing the stress of study with the stress of trying to find a dress that is different and something no-one else will have. I know this because my blog task of trying something new was shopping with my two future sisters in law for the first time. Not just any shopping day out but a whole afternoon of scouring every nook and cranny in Melbourne for a dress for a year 12 formal that would match the picture Amy had cut out from one of her magazines. It was so much fun! As we stood giggling at some of the options in the change rooms at Myer it dawned on me that this was actually my very first outing to look for a formal dress - growing up in a country town didn't really call for such dedication to finding the right dress. I had it easy. To look different from my colleagues all I had to do was avoid the blue chambray shirt and pearl necklace.

After a coffee to refuel Amy tried on a total of 12 dresses before calling it a day. We had found one or two potential options that needed to be tried on again the following day with a clear head. It was exhausting and exhilarating and so much more than just a shopping trip. My first outing with Amy and Natalie will be the first of many in the years to come and I feel so lucky to be adding two more sisters to the sensational one I already have in Torie. In truth a girl can never have too many sisters! As for Amy its now onto sitting her first HSC exam on Tuesday and another four weeks before she can glam up for the final formal of her school years. She will of course look gorgeous in which ever dress she chooses.

Apologies for the lack of photos - I was banned from taking them by the star of the day - this is the best I could do!

2 comments:

Greer said...

Spoutie, I didn't know you were getting two new sisters into the bargain. Good deal! (Do they need matching peach and apricot dresses for the wedding as well?)

Kate said...

You will be an excellent sister in law! Lucky ladies.