The Challenge

Every week, we each complete the same assigned task in our different cities and blog about it.

The tasks are creative journeys, artist dates, challenges small and large.



Monday, October 17, 2011

Key Lime Divine ..

try something new - Aimee

OK a few new things attempted on the weekend. Firstly entertaining at home with 2 children! I haven't done it that often, mostly because of the concern of getting number 1 to bed and being able to attend to conversation, drinks, dinner, breastfeeding etc etc



But we had a BBQ on the weekend with 2 families of friends, a whole handful of little boys, candles, torches on the trampoline, a stack of new recipes and an esky full of booze (in Asia eskys are the size of Barbie's bathtub). Sounds like it went off a treat doesnt it.....

Well it did, but this picture is of my Key Lime Pie.....as it turns out a lovely metaphor.


I have to admit I am a little shaky on it, I was a bit frazzled watching Hugo begin a few mellays on the trampoline, all the while holding down meaningful conversation, getting kids fed and finally settled for the adults to dine..........husband emerges whilst I am squeezing in a breastfeed and nappy change between cheese plates, to announce "No GAS" in my mind I am screaming "I WILL GIVE YOU NO GAS" but I overcame it to get all the stuff on the grill on the stove.

Finally we eat, and kids are fighting over torches, oh god did Hugo start it, quick find more torch thingos, find a DVD they are interested in. Find the pie, my new thing, and in my trip from the kitchen to the table with Key Lime, I know deep down the Martha Stewart Donna Hay Jamie Oliver in me is being blended by the spinning buzz lightyear which seems to be my brain.

So in our gourmet times of 'culinary bestestness', I have resigned to fight it a little. There is grace in the humble sausage and tearing open a bag of rolls at the table. Bring back the Neapolitan ice-cream and a bit of ice magic, and with it my brain might re-emerge....then perhaps I can chat and chuckle about the wide world and the tiny world around us as easily as my folks did with a houseful of friends, kids, dogs and guinea pigs. It doesn't matter what we eat just as long as it is done with friends. And thankfully I feasted with good friends on the weekend who all seemed to enjoy the BBQless BBQ.

3 comments:

Greer said...

I feel it, Aims. Hilarious xx

Kate said...

You are a wonder woman! Such grace under fire...or grill!

Anonymous said...

Had to laugh at the bit ..."husband emerges whilst I am squeezing in a breastfeed and nappy change between cheese plates, to announce "No GAS" in my mind I am screaming "I WILL GIVE YOU NO GAS" but I overcame it to get all the stuff on the grill on the stove."
If you were stressed you hid it well and as Fergus keeps reminding me BBQ's at Hugo's are fun.... Bring on the next one I'll bring the torches!
xx